Kanyadan
Kanyadan is a wedding ritual which is performed by bride's father. In absence of bride's father, it is suggested that bride's uncle- aunt (masi-mausa or tai-taya etc) can perform this ritual.
Six years back my family also faced such dilemma.
It was my wedding and I am a single child brought up by a single parent,nonetheless,my extended families have been very supportive and
encouraging.
We were also being suggested to take help from any set of relatives to perform my Kanyadan.
But I was very sure and adamant that my mother will perform this ritual for me.
Why and how can someone else 'give away' me when one who has 'given me everything' is there. Irrespective of what the tradition says, what society says, what people say, I was very clear on what I want and what is right.
I am very glad that my decision was supported and my mother along with my brother performed this ritual. It is absolutely okay to twist rituals and stand for something which you feel is right.
Comments
Post a Comment